Official Policies on Physical Punishment
The following medical organizations have issued reports on the use of physical (corporal) punishment with children.
American College of Pediatricians: Physical Punishment: A Scientific Review of Its Use in Discipline. December 2007.
American Academy of Pediatrics:
- Guidance for Effective Discipline. April 1998.
- Letters to Editor by Trumbull and Larzelere rebutting the policy
- Letter to the AAP Board concerning new policy
- Updated 2018 AAP policy: Effective Discipline for Raising Healthy Children
- Rebuttal to the 2018 AAP policy: Should Pediatricians Base Their Parenting Advice on Advocacy or Science?
- Press Release rebuttal to 2018 AAP policy: Spanking: A Valid Option for Parents
In creating policy on a parent’s use of disciplinary spanking with their own children, any medical, psychological, or legislative organization must first take an objective look at the data and consider all the facts.